Tuesday 18 October 2011

Welcome

Hola! (No I don't speak Spanish but you don't know that yet)

First of all, a bit about me!! My name is Lucy I am 23 (soon to be 24) years of age, aspiring doctor, living in a very small country town in South Australia. I have a degree in psychology (don't forget the honours) and at the moment working as a counsellor and school counsellor.

For a long time I've thought about all the issues I've wanted to raise and how I can do this. I've also come to realise that people L.O.V.E gossip and knowing every single detail about a person's life. So I've decided to combine the two. I recently had an experience which brought to light just how much others judge you and I went into meltdown thinking about people (who by the way are people I have no intention of whatsoever of getting to know or like) not liking me ( I will write about this next blog which I am feeling so in the mood I may write today!!). On the other hand I have adolescents coming to me upset about what people are saying about them, to which I reply (with very helpful comments I should say) "You need to learn to not care about what others think of you" and "not everyone is going to like you no matter what you do" and "Just because you're depressed you shouldn't feel ashamed of yourself, people shouldn't judge you based on that" - whilst ironically at the same time, I myself, put on a facade and hide any evidence from friends, colleagues and the rest of the world to prove that yes, perhaps I am slightly crazy. Just to be clear, in no way do I ever let my personal life affect my working life and am very careful about this. But at the same time, should I be forced by the stigma surrounding mental health to be ashamed of myself and my mental health history and put on a face everyday in order to please societies harsh judgements??

This is where the irony lies, I work in mental health and firmly advocate for the abolishing of negative stigma attached to those suffering from mental health problems, but at the same time, have glimpses of feelings of shame surrounding my own "weaknesses" and a strong desire for others (including employees) to never know the full story behind my life. So I decided today was the day I would share with the world (if the world cares enough to read) my life and who I am, and prove that yes I have suffered from mental health issues, yes I may relapse into 'crazy' moments, does this mean I am not someone who can be successful in love, employment and life in general? No! (well lets hope that's the response I get). Does this mean people should look at me as some kind of mental patient from now on, well perhaps some will. But I will persist at least for the benefit of my adolescent clients and firmly learn to take my own advice and "Not care what others think of me, if they don't like me that's their problem." All the while hoping that I do not end up being 'dooced' (for those who are not familiar with the term - I myself only learnt it today - it means to be fired for ones job as a direct result of one's personal website). ***Not that I'm that self absorbed to believe anyone would ever read this blog and that I will have the nerve to post the link on my Facebook page, but here goes!

Life is for living and I'm going to give it a good shot.

And yes.... my last name contains the word 'seeman.' At least feel sorry for me and therefore read my blog!!! I guarantee that it will be interesting, when people hear some of the crazy stories of my life I think they sometimes think I'm exaggerating... (apart from those who know me very well). Well I'm not... I'm just slightly left of centre and this tends to put me in some very bizarre situations.

No comments:

Post a Comment